Circa 1894 Day Spa has added several health giving possibilities in recent years. We now have an iHeart device, an Oxygen Therapy Machine (both of which involve a small extra fee) and, NIR Infra-red Sauna sessions.
The tubs are currently not available -
BENEFITS OF USING A
Subtle physiological processes occur when our bodies absorb heat. As we warm up, the blood flow increases causing dilation in our blood vessels, thereby reducing blood pressure in as little as 20 minutes. As well, because the water remains hot for the duration (unlike in the bathtub), muscles relax at the same time as the central nervous system’s sensitivity is muted because the body is focusing on the heat gain. The happy result is pain relief. In addition, the natural buoyancy of the water supports as much as 90% of body weight, taking the pressure off the joints, giving them down time and allowing time to rejuvenate. The tub's jets - streams of water targeted to a particular body part - provide a much needed, soothing therapeutic massage.
Relief from insomnia, joint and back pain, as well as improvements in regard to arthritis, diabetes and weight reduction have all been reported.According to The New England Journal of Medicine (08-16-1999), patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus were studied using a hot tub 30 minutes a day, 6 days per week. After only 10 days, patients required reduced doses of insulin, lost weight, showed distinct decreases in plasma glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin, and benefited from improved sleep and an increased general sense of well-being.
NIR Infra-red benefits:
- REDUCES BODY FAT
- INCREASED ENERGY– NIR activates the color sensitive chemicals (chromophores & cytochrome systems) to depths of 23 centimeters (or about 10 inches), stimulating the energy processes in cells.
- BOOSTS METABOLISM– The mitochondria (power plants of the cells) produce more ATP (energy currency of the cells) when NIR (near infrared rays) is introduced.
- IMPROVED CIRCULATION TO THE MUSCLES– NIR causes the release of nitric oxide. This stimulates vasodilatation of the microcirculatory system, bringing more blood to the muscles.
- BETTER ENDURANCE – Muscle fatigue was reduced by up to 42.2% when exposing muscle to NIR.
- INCREASED STRENGTH– Growth hormone release is induced by an increase in body temperature and not by exercise itself. Growth hormone increases muscle mass, calcium retention, and lipolysis (the breakdown of stored fat)
- FASTER RECOVERY TIME– Certain tissue regenerating genes including integrins, laminin, gap junction proteins and kinesin proteins have shown a two- to five-fold increase upon exposure to NIR.
- WORKOUT IN LESS TIME– Due to increased production of ATP and quick dilation of the microcirculatory system, a person can lessen warm-up time and work at a higher level of exertion without increasing blood pressure.
- DETOXIFY THE BODY- Increased blood circulation stimulates the sweat glands, releasing built-up toxins and waste. Sweat is the only way to remove certain carcinogenic PCBs, dioxins, phthalates, and volatile organic hydrocarbons.
- REDUCED VISIBLE CELLULITE- Cellulite is fat mixed with toxins that are trapped, in part due to an underactive circulatory system. Cellulite is so visible, in part due to weakened connective tissue. NIR helps rebuild connective tissue and has been shown to reduce cellulite.
- REJUVENATES SKIN- DNA Synthesis of fibroblasts, which affects the elasticity of skin, increase five-fold with NIR. The result is younger-looking, more beautiful skin.
- LESSENS JOINT AND MUSCLE PAIN & INCREASES FLEXIBILITY- Penetrating heat from NIR has long been proven to reduce pain and increase circulation to areas of discomfort. NIR has also been shown to significantly increase the range of flexibility.
iHeart was created as a tool to help people measure Internal Age and Aortic Stiffness and therefore realize the personal power they have to change their health and wellness. It was developed to give people an ability to monitor their bodies, encouraging behavior to feel well, avoid illness and live long lives.
Check out your internal age for $5.00 during your Spavisit.
medical grade FAR & NIR Infra-red sauna
Circa 1894's SaunaRay FAR Infra- red Sauna is pictured above. It is built for two and is, in particular, for client's with a sensitivity to cedar products and environmental toxins. Since installation, NIR (NEAR) Infra-red, has been added.
SaunaRay saunas are hand crafted in a toxin free factory in Collingwood, Ontario and each part is carefully selected and assembled with expert precision. saunaray.com
They "never substitute with cheaper materials that may contain formaldehyde, toxic glues, chemical fire retardants, plastic or fibre glass heaters. SaunaRay uses only natural and solid Ontario Basswood. They carve each piece to perfection and assemble their saunas the old fashioned way, one piece at a time. The sauna is finished by hand, with pure Canadian Beeswax."
"Every SaunaRay unit is a work of high function and fine beauty.” SaunaRay's saunas are used worldwide by medical doctors, and by Naturopathic Doctors, Dentists, Chiropactors and massage therapists. As well, firefighters and hockey teams use SaunaRay Saunas. Source: (saunaray.com/professionals.html)
Goggles are necessary during NIR Infra-red sessions. Please bring your own or you can purchase a pair for $10.00.
Oxygen Therapy has countless benefits including: Shortening the inflammatory process; Improving range of motion,; Increasing growth of cells that form reparative tissue; Supporting scar tissue rehabilitation; Promoting greater tissue strength; Enhancing the growth of new blood vessels; Increasing oxygen levels in tissues; Increasing oxygen perfusion area around wounds; Stimulating new capillary growth; Improving the survival of tissues in the 'grey area' of crush injuries; Increasing white blood cell production; Enhancing ability of white blood cells to remove bacteria and debris and destroying harmful bacteria.
Many notice their brain used to fatigue before their body and now their body fatigues before their brain, Removes free radicals, Reduces tissue swelling, Increases neuronal energy metabolism in the brain. Wake up sleeping (idling) brain cells that are metabolizing enough to stay alive but are not actively "firing". Enhance the body's ability to fight bacterial and viral infections. Deactivate toxins and poisons (e.g. side effects from some chemotherapy, spider bites, air pollution, etc.). Enhance wound healing (stimulates new capillaries into wounds). Acts as an anti-inflammator. Oxygen in your body’s water determines your immune energy.
We have brought in a supply of cannulas, so that you can purchase one ($3.00) to take home and bring along on future visits.
To our knowledge, Circa 1894 offers the only FAR and NIR Infra-red saunas available to the public in the area. An infrared sauna is a type of sauna that uses light to create heat. These saunas are sometimes called FAR Infra-red saunas — "FAR" describes where the infrared waves fall on the light spectrum. FAR infrared goes 1 1/2 to 2 inches into the body and is useful for detoxing organs below the skin. NIR infrared reaches all the way into the cells and Mitochondria.
A traditional sauna uses heat to warm the air, which, in turn, warms your body. In contrast, an infrared sauna heats your body directly without warming the air around you.The appeal of saunas in general is that they cause reactions, such as vigorous sweating and increased heart rate, similar to those elicited by moderate exercise. An infrared sauna produces these results at lower temperatures than does a regular sauna, which makes it accessible to people who can't tolerate the heat of a conventional sauna.
Several studies have looked at using infrared saunas in the treatment of chronic health problems, such as high blood pressure, congestive heart failure and rheumatoid arthritis, and found evidence of benefit. Dr. Oz has stated that infrared saunas can cause the body to sweat out toxins, burn calories and increase blood circulation. Come pamper yourself. Book today to experience these health benefits for yourself.